Back to Mars in 2020!

Describe upcoming and future events here
rwilkinson

Back to Mars in 2020!

Post by rwilkinson » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:54 pm

At last Mars is clear of the trees to my South-East by 10:30pm, so on Thursday night I set up my planetary imaging kit.
The last time I had used this was in 2016 (for Saturn), so it took me a little while to remember how to set it all up (and to replace the battery in my Moto-Focus)!
The camera is an old Philips webcam (SPC880), loaded with the "Colour RAW" firmware, so at first the picture appears as a monochrome Colour Filter Array. But the SharpCap program can decode this into colour on the fly, whilst saving the .AVI stream.

This afternoon I ran the file through AutoStakkert, which does all the alignment, drizzling, stacking and RGB alignment and produces a single .TIF image. Then applying the Wavelet filters in IRIS, I managed to recover some surface detail, including the polar ice-cap:
http://www.boltonastro.co.uk/gallery/di ... p?pid=1920

rwilkinson

Re: Back to Mars in 2020!

Post by rwilkinson » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:09 am

Last night I had another go at Mars, which was visible above the trees just before 10pm.
Then a cloud-bank came over as I was setting up the 'scope, but happily this soon passed over, so I had a half-hour's clear sky to work with.
The seeing was a little better than last week, and I'd given my 'scope more time to cool down too.