Astro image-processing on a Mac?

Astronomy software or computer hardware that you need to help get a good nights viewing
rwilkinson

Astro image-processing on a Mac?

Post by rwilkinson » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:02 pm

We've just had an email enquiry asking about astro image processing on an Apple Mac Pro - would any of our Mac-using members care to comment on what they use?

Amartin

Re: Astro image-processing on a Mac?

Post by Amartin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:53 am

I use photoshop cs6. There are a number of products that run on the Mac, most notably nebulosity (I think) and pixinsight. An option is to use a package called parallels - it allows you to run windows apps natively on the Mac.

rwilkinson

Re: Astro image-processing on a Mac?

Post by rwilkinson » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I believe that it's possible to run a Java environment in MacOS (as we can in Windows & Linux)?
In which case, the free program Regim (http://www.andreasroerig.de/regim/regim_e.htm) should be available to Mac users.

I've just tried this (on a WinXP laptop) with some of my recent data: it can colour-convert a set of raw (CFA) images, perform stellar registration and then stack them, but it doesn't have any of the advanced features which I use in IRIS.
And the calibration is slightly different too: it expects Darks, Flats and "Flat-Darks", rather than Offsets, Darks & Flats.