It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:13 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Star Party St Andrew's Primary school in Over Hulton
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:45 am 

Well, just when you think its all over for the year you get another request for a Star Party

Nicola their Year 5 teacher contacted us in view of a star party and after an exchange of emails I popped over to see here to see if we where able to help. I did of course explain about the time when it gets dark now we are in spring and daylight saving also I mention the wonderful weather we have experienced over the passed few months.

After a discussion and a tour of the school we set date of Friday the 28th April starting a 8pm. I will be attending together with Keith to provide an introductory talk on the evenings event, and provide at least 2 telescopes for the Children to experience the wonderful night Sky. Hopefully we should be able to manage. Of course Nicola and I have arrangement to call the evening off should we get clouded out.

I will keep you posted

Bill
BAS Outreach Officer

Post subject: Re: Star Party St Andrew's Primary school in Over Hulton
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am 

Well the weather was not kind to us but the evening went ahead as planned and on this occasion I was supported by Keith Johnson who brought along his HEQ5 mount and 110 Refactor.

As it was not possible to view the night sky I did a presentation which is aimed at Year 5 Primary School Children and included interaction with both the parents and children. At the end of the evening I was presented eight individually written thank you notes from a selection of the Class of Year 5 together with a donation to the Societies Outreach Funds

This is the feed back I received this morning, make it all worth while...

Hi Bill, 
           Just to say a huge thank you for this evening, you were 'out of this world!' 
Parents and children gave such positive feedback to both me and the headteacher, mainly amazed by your sheer depth of knowledge! I really liked how your talk included areas of the science curriculum (Sun, Earth and moon as well as moon phases and distance from Earth to moon! It was really relevant for our children and tied what we have learnt in class together nicely. 
We really liked your in-depth answers to the questions fired at you, so thank you for that! I believe the children started to become tired towards the very end of your talk mainly because of how late it was (nothing to do with your talk). 
I would certainly like to book you again in the future, in fact, it would be fantastic to get some dates from you now ready for the new school year. When would be an ideal month of the year for stargazing? If we book in advance, I can move my topics around next year to suit.

Thanks again, it's been a pleasure!

Nicola

This is the last Outreach Event for this season and as you can see from the above we will be back..

Bill
Outreach Officer

Post subject: Re: Star Party St Andrew's Primary school in Over Hulton
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:53 am 

Well done Bill

EQ Mod
QHY5 Guide camera
Cannon 1000D SLR Camera

I choose to image with an 11" SCT Celestron in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard......