It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Street LED Lighting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:14 am 

Not sure if you all know but Bolton Council are in the process of replacing the old street lighting in a number of area's within Bolton.

Well they started replacing the one's in the estate were I live and given the brightness I was getting concerned that at least one of the new LED light outside the house was going to be a problem, however once fitted it's better all be it white light, there is no longer light shining into the bedroom and as you can see from the attached there seems to be little sky bound light.

Attachment:
File comment: Take 16 June 2016
LED-Street-Light-WEB.jpg
LED-Street-Light-WEB.jpg [ 34.04 KiB | Viewed 2161 times ]

Post subject: Re: Street LED Lighting
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:32 am 

Here is the Council's fact-sheet on the subject:
http://www.bolton.gov.uk/sites/DocumentCentre/Documents/New%20LED%20lighting%20in%20Bolton.pdf

The main purpose of the project is to save rate-payers' money in the long-term, but it ought to have an advantage to us in reducing light-pollution:
Quote:
The LED light source is a different quality than the old lights and is designed to light the road and footpath only. This minimises light pollution by directing the light to the specific areas where it is needed. There may be a perception that it is brighter because it is a different colour, but this is not the case.
As LEDs emit light in a specific direction, which is aimed at providing uniform illumination of the area to be lit, it will reduce light trespass and light pollution.

Now some of the lights in my area were converted last year, and as I live on the side of a hill, so there's much less scattered light from the lamps further down the road, but my garden still gets some illumiination from those further up the hill. However the total amount of light scattered upward into the sky is much less, as Bill's picture demonstrates.

Post subject: Re: Street LED Lighting
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:33 pm 

just had our road converted Tuesday and its a lot better, all the light shines downwards, its that bright when I look out I think there's a car parked up with its headlights on