It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: CCD vs DSLR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:02 pm 
Hi all,
I've been thinking of upgrading my imaging systems, namely my canon eos 1100D & my Philips SPC900 guide cam.
I was looking at the Canon 600D with a view to getting it modified for astronomy. The cost for this upgrade & mod are (forgive the pun) astronomical!

Instead of spending upwards of £650-700 on a camera, I was wondering whether a dedicated CCD would be a better option.
I've really no idea about them except at 1st glance they're a really expensive item!
What I want to know is
1. Are they better than a Canon (by that I mean pound for pound more value)
2. monochrome or colour (Why you'd choose monochrome over colour)

sorry if this seems a bit daft, but it may clear up a few things for me.
The very fact that Dave & Gerald use a Canon may already provide me with all the answers to my question!!!
Cheers
Andy

Post subject: Re: CCD vs DSLR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 pm 

Andy,
The way the most have gone on cameras is a secondhand already modified Canon camera. These run around £200 to £400 depending on model. The latest ones with multi-megapixels are not a step forward.
As regards an astronomial CCD camera it is not just the cost of the camera. To benefit from their performance long sub-exposures typically 10 to 20 minutes are required. Having a mount and guiding system capable of supporting them is essential. The real advantages are only achieved with a monochrome sensor - using the LRGB method. This brings a level of complexity both in taking and processing way beyond the "simplicity" of a one-shot Canon. It is a step to be taken only when the imaging bug bites deep and all the pieces of the jigsaw are in place. I should also add that cooled astronomical cameras and the Lancashire climate don't agree - only one manufacturer (the most expensive of course) builds one immune to our damp.

Post subject: Re: CCD vs DSLR
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 pm 
Thanks for that Dave,
I'd presumed as much, but wanted to be sure prior to he wallet being significantly emptied! I will hunt around for an older model canon already modded for astronomy.

Cheers
Andy