Plugging the gap

For those who need help choosing a setup or want further advice on how to improve their own setup
rwilkinson

Plugging the gap

Post by rwilkinson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:55 am

I've just been sorting out a problem which Bill Chamberlain had with his Synscan EQ5 mount - it wouldn't communicate with either his EQDIRECT-USB lead or even its original hand-control. This turned out to be a mechanical issue with the 8P8C (RJ45) socket on his mount: one of the sprung pins had become displaced, so that it wasn't making contact when the plug was inserted:
synscan repair1.jpg
Before the repair - note that the 3rd contact from the left is visibly displaced.
synscan repair1.jpg (323.78 KiB) Viewed 4806 times
After a lot of "delicate persuasion" with the end of a long sewing-needle (now rather bent!), I managed to re-form all the pins to their original shape, so they now make contact:
synscan repair2.jpg
After the repair. The tip of the sewing-needle which I used for the repair is also visible.
synscan repair2.jpg (313.17 KiB) Viewed 4811 times
This type of rectangular connector (8P8C, 6P4C, 4P4C) is used on lots of 'scope mounts (including my Celestron) as well as computers, modems (and even the microphones on modern ham radio transceivers), and it's all to easy to mess them up if you insert the plug at an funny angle, or even upside-down - easily done when connecting up your 'scope mount in the dark!
Last edited by rwilkinson on Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

bbones

Re: Plugging the gap

Post by bbones » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Nice work Young Ross, we know where to come for keyhole surgery in the future ;)